Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What have you just FINISHED?; Sure you can start em....
Topic Started: Oct 28 2007, 05:28 PM (246,814 Views)
ions
Member Avatar
Lost at sea
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Started and finished A Midsummer Night's Dream by Bill the Bard today. Was fun.

What have you just finished?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Docpacey
Member Avatar
Achiever
[ *  *  * ]
I just finished The Man Who Loved Children the bot6w. it was brutal, but a satisfying ending.
I am hoping to finish The Moviegoer tonight.

I am stuck on At-Swim-Two-Birds which i haven't picked up in a month
Owen Glendower which is decent, but slow going and almost 800 pages, and
The Ancestor's Tale which i am just picking my way through slowly.

ions
Member Avatar
Lost at sea
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
No Country For Old Men. Another thoroughly enjoyed book. I'm having a rather good reading year.

laszlopaniflex
Acolyte
[ *  * ]
couple days ago, Nabokov - The Eye, read in one day [only 104 pages]

before that, Amis - Dead Babies

before that, Nab - Laughter in the Dark

-mm

Mudfrost
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Recently finished Fingersmith, by Sarah Waters. I think I might have mentioned this elsewhere...

Ok book, not great but good characters and atmosphere. Too often she takes a scene too far. Hope she gets better.

Docpacey
Member Avatar
Achiever
[ *  *  * ]
Finished The Moviegoer a couple days late. Interesting book, I know several on the board have recommended it. the prose is artful, a slow, southern drawl of a narrative. a short book at 240 p. but i read it over he course of a month, cause Bot6w got in there and it was the 600 lb gorilla in the reading room.
there were many snippets that were tasty, but nothing profound, just good enough to be appreciated, but in the end the overt racism left enough of a bad taste to make it hard for me to recommend.

orlando
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I finished Life of Pi about 10 days ago. I enjoyed its start, i even liked Pi and his take on religion. I didn't mind the story though i predicted how it might be twisted -- maybe I missed something cos I really don't see why it might make me believe in God (and I am not as averse to that idea as I coudl be). Something about it left me feeling underwhelmed -- perhaps the most interesting bit is the stranmge thing that happens before the end of part 2 (edited to avoid spoilers), which I might interpret....but maybe I am missing something. anyone else read it and feel differently? For me, I cannot understand how it could win the Booker ahead of The Story of Lucy Gault.

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
TonyH
Nov 3 2007, 03:31 PM
I finished Life of Pi about 10 days ago. I enjoyed its start, i even liked Pi and his take on religion. I didn't mind the story though i predicted how it might be twisted -- maybe I missed something cos I really don't see why it might make me believe in God (and I am not as averse to that idea as I coudl be). Something about it left me feeling underwhelmed -- perhaps the most interesting bit is the stranmge thing that happens before the end of part 2 (edited to avoid spoilers), which I might interpret....but maybe I am missing something. anyone else read it and feel differently? For me, I cannot understand how it could win the Booker ahead of The Story of Lucy Gault.

I felt the same way about it. It's a nice enough novel, but that's hardly a ringing endorsement. It's a crowd-pleasing sort of novel, though, popular with the reading group set. I put it on my list of recommended novels that I give to my students, and they usually like it.

orlando
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Funhouse
Nov 3 2007, 10:38 PM
I felt the same way about it. It's a nice enough novel, but that's hardly a ringing endorsement. It's a crowd-pleasing sort of novel, though, popular with the reading group set. I put it on my list of recommended novels that I give to my students, and they usually like it.

Glad its not just me, if thats the right way to put it.

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ditto
on the Life of Pi
a mediocre piece of writing

ions
Member Avatar
Lost at sea
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I liked Life of Pi quite a bit but I am a more demanding reader now than when I read it and I don't think it's the sort of book that would hold up to a rereading given that its strengths are its twists.

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just finished Iris Murdoch's
The Sea, The Sea

marvelous book
I highly recommend it

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm on a roll here
with finishing started books!

next up
yet another started one
maybe Tree of Smoke

I'm really tempted to start another Iris Murdoch book
but I've been annoyed at myself
of late
for reading in too many
and not finishing enough

ions
Member Avatar
Lost at sea
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
suzannahhh
Nov 4 2007, 06:55 PM
I'm really tempted to start another Iris Murdoch book
but I've been annoyed at myself
of late
for reading in too many
and not finishing enough

I don't know how you do it, would bother me.

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ions____

when I was a kid-into-reading
I would have
seven or eight going at once

then I stopped doing that
when I went off to college

and only started again
in the last seven years or so

no problem keeping the tales straight though

onefatman
Unregistered

I am currently reading 8 books (for fun)
I really MUST finish one of them
I made myself promise to finish two books
before I enter B.S. Johnson's work. I already ordered the biography by Coe.
Quote Post Goto Top

kline19
Member Avatar
worker bee
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I finished Eva The Fugitive. That was two weeks ago. It was one of those insanely cyclical piece of prose, I'd read in a while. I am reading The Voyeur and Under The Volcano but for past week or so, I have not done any reading because of work.

ions
Member Avatar
Lost at sea
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If I read more than one book at a time eventually a perfectly finishable book would become abandoned. One at a time ensures that each gets finished. This applies only to fiction, non-fiction I can multi-book but don't often. Usually only for school.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
usually one scholarly,or philo followed by a novel, though i sometimes read both at once i generally read far more non fiction than fiction and certainly more than three books at a time would mean i wasn't where i needed to be for the poetry

kline19
Member Avatar
worker bee
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
art garfunkel's comprehensive reading list... (quirky huh?)

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply