Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Raymond Roussel; Locus Solus
Topic Started: Apr 9 2008, 02:39 PM (3,369 Views)
WilliamTwellman
Member Avatar
skull-walker
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Has anyone ever read this novel? I looked on amazon, but it is way, way out of print. I came across his name while reading about Harry Mathews (I just bought Tlooth yesterday after spying it in the bargain bin). Check out this description of Locus Solus:
---John Ashbery summarizes Locus Solus thus in his introduction to Michel Foucault's Death and the Labyrinth: "A prominent scientist and inventor, Martial Canterel, has invited a group of colleagues to visit the park of his country estate, Locus Solus. As the group tours the estate, Canterel shows them inventions of ever-increasing complexity and strangeness. Again, exposition is invariably followed by explanation, the cold hysteria of the former giving way to the innumerable ramifications of the latter. After an aerial pile driver which is constructing a mosaic of teeth and a huge glass diamond filled with water in which float a dancing girl, a hairless cat, and the preserved head of Danton, we come to the central and longest passage: a description of eight curious tableaux vivants taking place inside an enormous glass cage. We learn that the actors are actually dead people whom Canterel has revived with 'resurrectine,' a fluid of his invention which if injected into a fresh corpse causes it continually to act out the most important incident of its life."

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fausto
Unregistered

A must read.
Quote Post Goto Top

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
i've read/thought around and about him - the only Roussel i have, and which i've yet to read is "impressions of Africa" but yes, i'd second Fausto's recommendation, William

onefatman
Unregistered

http://s11.invisionfree.com/thefictionalwo...p?showtopic=643
Quote Post Goto Top

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Damn and double damn
I just went back through my emails
being quite certain I had purchased Locus Solus

and yes i did
may f last year
from a bookseller in England
and IT NEVER ARRIVED!!!

so I dashed ff an email
to said bookseller

(I'll be slightly embarassed
if I find it amongst the stacks
but I checked them all carefully
and no sign of it!)

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
this happened to me yesterday, going back through orders i can find no trace of a book on sumerian mythology

meanwhile, this is the *new impessions of africa edition i bought a while back

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
yes I too
have
Impressions of Africa

kline19
Member Avatar
worker bee
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
50 pages in. it's mostly so far about a kingdom in africa and many "strange" ceremonies at the coronation of the new king. prose is holding things pretty tight... again it reminds me of the stance like that of an Antonioni's camera.

kline19
Member Avatar
worker bee
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
reading it again ... i'm struck with how methodically every single "installation" or the set piece of the story unfolds within the novel.

Jacek
Member Avatar
Deathwalker
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wait a second... isn't this fellow French? Am I confusing something?

kline19
Member Avatar
worker bee
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yea he is...

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
cf How I Wrote Certain of my Books, and
http://ajourneyroundmyskull.blogspot.com/2008/08/trevor-winkfield-on-raymond-roussel.html
http://justtheplaceforasnark.blogspot.com/search/label/Raymond%20Roussel
and the biography ...
http://nnyhav.blogspot.com/2005/08/forthcoming.html

kline19
Member Avatar
worker bee
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This The Painter And His Muse is quite something! ... I am looking at it while working on every half hour intervals...

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
bookforum's Eric Banks on the new impress
Quote:

two Rousselians have now bravely taken up the challenge of translating his most notoriously difficult achievements, Impressions of Africa and New Impressions of Africa. Each poses a unique set of hurdles for any translator (except for the three words they share in their titles, the two are wildly different affairs). The prose work Impressions of Africa, translated by Mark Polizzotti, more closely hews to the techniques Roussel elaborated in How I Wrote Certain of My Books, unfurling an extravagant fabric of bizarre scenes engendered by the author’s complex method of linguistic free association. New Impressions of Africa (translated by Ford, Roussel’s biographer and a poet), a four-canto poem written in rhyming alexandrines that nominally spins off from a number of Egyptian settings, obeys its own beguiling rabbit-hole logic in a way that anticipates the Oulipian games decades in the future.
the latter bilingual and with Zo's illustrations

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mist this (via thepage)
http://www.openlettersmonthly.com/the-zither-and-the-worm/
(I've only read the Foord/Heppenstall rendering of the first and excerpts of the last from How I Wrote Certain of My Books (which also includes Zo's illustrations))

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Alice Gregory on the upside of crazy
via zunguzungu

« Previous Topic · Continental European writers · Next Topic »
Add Reply