Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
More Lists; Oh, the Shame!
Topic Started: May 20 2008, 10:13 AM (8,448 Views)
johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
making bets on kentucky derby day
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Funhouse
Jan 20 2015, 08:32 AM
roger
Jan 20 2015, 08:13 AM
Some well known critics polled for the 21st Century's best novels published in English. I've only read four, but it seems a very conventional list, significant omissions for me would be Against the Day, and nothing in translation.

I've read nine of the twelve, and while I liked most of them it still strikes me as a pretty terrible list. It's all American, with just a few English writers (Smith, McEwan, Mantel) thrown in. Adichie's book is set in Nigeria, but she's a long time US resident. I'd keep Wolf Hall and The Known World on the list and maybe Kavalier and Clay but ditch the rest.

Probably most of the people who voted would feel the same way about the list as a whole, though, once the votes were totalled up.
That is a horrible list and it's not even the best books in english:

The runners-up
Editor’s Note 21 January 2015: In light of overwhelming interest from our readers, we have decided to unveil the rest of the top 20, as selected in our critics poll.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Americanah
WG Sebald, Austerlitz
Elena Ferrante, My Brilliant Friend
Alan Hollinghurst, The Line of Beauty
Cormac McCarthy, The Road
Zadie Smith, NW
Roberto Bolaño, 2666
Shirley Hazzard, The Great Fire

Apparently Sebald and Bolano and Ferrante were the only non-English writers putting out anything worthy of note...(but agree with Blair I'm sure the critics themselves would want to change it if they saw it now)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://flavorwire.com/515268/the-50-best-american-poetry-books-of-the-decade-so-far/12

Accepting the Disaster? Quick Question? O well, The Cloud Corporation is great, Lighthead I like a lot...I can handle Seidel in small doses

johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I agree with #1 and nice to see The Good Soldier so high (actually one of the better lists I've seen, I think)....but Under the Volcano at 98...? and Mansfield Park is my favorite Austen (well along with Pride and Prejudice....Sense and Sensibility, I don't know about that...)
Edited by johnnywalkitoff, Dec 8 2015, 07:49 PM.

johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/tip-sheet/article/70595-10-best-spanish-language-books.html

a list by Daniel Saldana Paris whose Among Strange Victims looks great...

johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Funhouse
Jul 7 2016, 02:04 AM
Didi
Jul 7 2016, 12:54 AM
http://www.themillions.com/2016/07/most-anticipated-the-great-second-half-2016-book-preview.html

some important publications omitted - Schmidt's BD for instance as one comment mentions.
There are a few there to be excited about. They also left off Coetzee's The Schooldays of Jesus, due 29 September in the UK, 3 October here in Australia and it looks like February next year for the US...
That fucking sucks! I'm really looking forward to that one...was thinking this might be a trilogy/ tetralogy of the years the bible doesn't cover of "Jesus" although David isn't Jesus but man the first one was beautiful

Also Moya's Revulsion: Thomas Bernhard in San Salvador is probably the book I've been looking forward to the most (along with Zambra's Multiple Choice...that's on there)...

johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mandm
Apr 2 2017, 07:59 AM
For fuck's sake, Something Happened! one of the greatest american novels....

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply