Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
graphic novels; whats up
Topic Started: Apr 9 2010, 12:05 AM (13,669 Views)
Ekalavya
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
No one's mentioned Watchmen yet? Really? It's a classic. Totally solid.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ekalavya
Nov 1 2010, 11:26 PM
Yes, it is. It's on my list (second post).

Heteronym
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Ekalavya
Everything by Alan Moore is awesome.

I'm slowly getting Tom Strong, the first two volumes were awesome. I love his nostalgic, retro-look at pulp fiction and the way he incorporates it in the superhero tradition. It's such a marvellous universe: parallel worlds, mad scientists, time loops, a vast gallery of characters. I'm always left in awe when I contemplate Alan Moore's imagination.

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
hetero
so you've read the Promethea series
yes?
if not
do!

Tm Strong puts the fun back in

I also highly recommend Alan's
spoken word albums
they are wonderful

Ekalavya
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Funhouse
Nov 2 2010, 06:33 AM
Ekalavya
Yes, it is. It's on my list (second post).
Oops. My bad.

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There's also a thread on Moore: http://s11.zetaboards.com/thefictionalwoods/topic/784916

jes
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
just read paul pope's heavy liquid today. i really enjoyed this. compelling art, entertaining story, a great ending.

Heteronym
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Read the first volume in Grant Morrison's The Invisibles. It was very good, so good I've already ordered the second volume. It wasn't the mind fuck I expected, because many of the ideas' impact have been diluted by reading Robert Anton Wilson, Aleister Crowley, Timothy Leary, Aldous Huxley, etc., but it's still a nicely written team book full of cool characters.

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oubapo's troubles on WSJ frontpage

Martstar
Member Avatar
Slow Learner
[ *  *  * ]
I've recently discovered the cartoonist (graphic novelist, whatever the hell you wanna call him) Seth, and really enjoyed his book Wimbledon Green. He has a fairly unadorned, almost minimalist style, but there is obviously a depth behind it as well.

I first learned of him in this book, which I bought mainly for Crumb and Spiegelman and discovered some others who have piqued my interest in the process.

ElAleph
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Heteronym
Nov 17 2010, 09:51 AM
Read the first volume in Grant Morrison's The Invisibles. It was very good, so good I've already ordered the second volume. It wasn't the mind fuck I expected, because many of the ideas' impact have been diluted by reading Robert Anton Wilson, Aleister Crowley, Timothy Leary, Aldous Huxley, etc., but it's still a nicely written team book full of cool characters.
If you are buying each issue separately, when you get to volume three don't make the same (moronic) mistake that I did: volume three is a countdown from issue 12 to issue 1.

I, however, began with issue 1 and read to issue 5 before I realized that something was wrong. This is partly understandable, as at the end of volume 2 a time machine is built and I actually assumed Morrison was telling the story backwards (rather than simply numbering the issues backwards). I mean, it is the kind of thing Morrison would do.

Honestly, it was among my strangest reading experiences ever. But, temporarily at least, The Invisibles fulfilled and exceeded its mindfuck reputation,

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
nnyhav
Jan 21 2011, 02:45 PM
Kind of odd piece. Left me wanting to know more.

I have one of the books they refer to in the story (although not by name), Matt Madden's Exercises in Style (obviously inspired by Raymond Queneau), but wasn't aware of the existence of OuBaPo.

I'm also familiar with some of Lewis Trondheim's work, and I'm certainly an admirer.

sub-pet
Member Avatar
I have a pony
[ *  *  * ]
Anyone know about this Duncan the Wonder Dog by Adam Hines? The preview looks beautiful and the PW blurb in amazon sounds promising.
Quote:

Can this massive, brilliant graphic novel-supposedly the first of a nine-volume series-really be its creator's first published work? Apparently so, and Hines has instantly established himself as a cartoonist to be reckoned with. Duncan is set in a world almost exactly like ours, except that all animals can talk. Humans still have dominion over everything, and a lot of animals aren't too happy about it; they also see the world in very different ways from each other, and from people. The central plot of this volume is what happens after an animal-rights organization run by a deranged, bloodthirsty macaque detonates a bomb at a human college, but that's just a springboard for Hines to show off what he can do. Nearly every page has some kind of stunning visual set piece; Hines' range of black-and-white drawing styles incorporate clean-lined "bigfoot" cartooning, hyper-stylized abstract landscapes and near-photorealism, often on the same page. The book is an overwhelming assemblage of stories within stories, stories on top of stories (sometimes literally), and meticulously crafted anecdotes that aren't directly related to each other but add up to a portrait of a world whose desperate cruelties are more vivid when all its inhabitants can communicate with one another.

(Apparently there's a new printing coming so the price should be reduced..)

byrd9999
Member Avatar
byrd is the wyrd
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
i downloaded the pdf preview of Duncan the Wonder Dog. It looks gorgeous, and the conversation between the monkey and the tiger is brilliant :)

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
responding to your teaser, byrd
I looked at the pdf
and was alaso impressed
and then found the new publisher
http://www.adhousebooks.com/books/duncan.html
and ordered the book
for $24.95

sub-pet
Member Avatar
I have a pony
[ *  *  * ]
suzannahhh
Apr 11 2011, 08:48 AM

and ordered the book
I look forward to your thoughts on it, then!

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Duncan the WonderDog
is a stunning piece of work

all you graphic novel lovers
should get it

interview with Adam Hines, the creator here

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/book-news/comics/article/45103-adam-hines-on-creating-duncan-the-wonder-dog-.html

and another excellent interview here

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/08/talking-comics-with-tim-adam-hines/

if you liked From Hell
and Asterios Polyp
you'll like it
Edited by suzannahhh, Apr 19 2011, 08:46 AM.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
i couldn't resist! :)

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
when your copy arrives