Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nobel Prize 2012; wild speculations
Topic Started: Aug 4 2012, 09:37 AM (15,713 Views)
Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Loving all the educated speculation here. Keep it up, guys!

I'll keep my thoughts to the English language authors.

I would love to see Barth and Coover in consideration as well. If either won it would be majorly surprising to most Americans, though, I suspect. And maybe there's a an idea that although, as Marcel says, American postmodern fiction has been hugely influential any one of Barth/Coover/Pynchon hasn't done enough individually to warrant the award. That idea would be wrong, but still...

I love Ondaatje's work, but I think he's at least another really major work away from serious consideration. The Cat's Table was enjoyable but felt a bit minor...

A popular choice here in the woods (as opposed to here in Australia) would no doubt be Gerald Murnane, who apparently has raised genuine interest in Sweden. Peter Carey's output has been strong in recent years, and he's been getting more prolific. Unlike Murnane, he would be a really popular winner. I would so love to see Murnane win, though...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Funhouse
Aug 6 2012, 07:38 AM
A popular choice here in the woods (as opposed to here in Australia) would no doubt be Gerald Murnane, who apparently has raised genuine interest in Sweden. Peter Carey's output has been strong in recent years, and he's been getting more prolific. Unlike Murnane, he would be a really popular winner. I would so love to see Murnane win, though...
you what would be great about murnane? it would give all the "I DONT KNOW HIS NAME SO HE MUST BE WORTHLESS HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE THAT NAME WHY IS IT NOT ROTH OR MCCARTHY" people apoplexy if he won.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

do you think Birne's mancrush Laszlo K. would have a chance?
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Canox
Aug 6 2012, 07:43 AM
do you think Birne's mancrush Laszlo K. would have a chance?
:) also from him they do not have all books in that library, Seiobo is missing, Satantango and Animalinside in English, most of the French translations...

Honestly, I do not think he stands a chance against those Hungarian household names Nadas and Esterhazy

I would love it of course, in particular because all those "I DONT KNOW HIS NAME SO HE MUST BE WORTHLESS HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE THAT NAME WHY IS IT NOT ROTH OR MCCARTHY" will have their tongues tied in a knot. I can already see all those articles coming out the day following the announcement, how they will focus on three aspects of his 'work' only, 1) the pronunciation of his name 2) his long sentences 3) Bela Tarr's films :laugh:
Quote Post Goto Top

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Canox
Aug 6 2012, 07:42 AM
Funhouse
Aug 6 2012, 07:38 AM
you what would be great about murnane? it would give all the "I DONT KNOW HIS NAME SO HE MUST BE WORTHLESS HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE THAT NAME WHY IS IT NOT ROTH OR MCCARTHY" people apoplexy if he won.
You get that every other year anyway, though. The good thing about Murnane winning here in Australia is that it would be major front page news and everyone would be confused as hell, and a bunch of people would buy his novels and he could live a more comfortable life (although he does seem to be a man of simple pleasures anyway -- he won't use the prize money to travel the world, in fact he'd be unlikely to pick up the prize in person).

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jonn Kinsella deserves it, but won't win. Oates is a thoroughly mediocre writer, and the thought of Didion winning anything beggars belief

Deleted User
Deleted User

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Aug 6 2012, 08:48 AM
the thought of Didion winning anything beggars belief
You don't like her essays or her novels or both?

I'm so tempted by the 1000 page collected nonfiction published by Everyman. And so many of these essays are frightfully influential, especially the early ones. And there really isn't anyone of her stature in her genre still alive.
Quote Post Goto Top

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I read one or two of her novels
decades ago
wasn't much impressed

just another one of those depressed writers
writing depressing stuff

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Any of it, i've no patience with her or what she does, probably for many of the same reasons that i dislike so much US/Brit fiction, Marcel.

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
it's not the depressing or otherwise, it's the privilege of a certain kind of self absorption as "influential" - east coast mediocre smarts - , i don't like it, i've never liked it, i've had a hard and difficult life that continues to throw many surprises at me, but i don't go on and on about it with the undoubtedly rich and ingenious language i have at my disposal.

Deleted User
Deleted User

suzannahhh
Aug 6 2012, 09:11 AM
I read one or two of her novels
decades ago
wasn't much impressed

just another one of those depressed writers
writing depressing stuff
I think the part that she's important for and might merit a Nobel are not the novels. I mean apart from Wolfe the pompous ass she is the only New Journalist (inasmuch as she was ever part of the group) who's still alive and writing prominent stuff. Of those not dead there is Gay Talese who hasn't written anything of note since Honor Thy Father and Gail Sheehy who went off the rails fast after "Redpants".
Quote Post Goto Top

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
she's more west coastal than east
but I basically agree with your assessment
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Sharon}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Deleted User
Deleted User

suzannahhh
Aug 6 2012, 09:36 AM
she's more west coastal than east
but I basically agree with your assessment
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Sharon}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Did you read anything apart from the novels?

(not that I agree on the assessment of the novels either, the one I read, anyway, Play it as it lays, which is damn good. We have a thread I think. Johnny agrees, I believe, but it's a generally not very popular thread.)
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Aug 6 2012, 09:17 AM
as "influential"
well, there's "influential" and actually fucking influential. A friend/acquaintance of mine at this university is writing her phd thesis on new journalism in the us and in europe and the actual influence (not "influence") is mind boggling. In fact, most uni libraries here I have direct access to have more books on the trace new journalism left on french and german writing than books on the american scene, which I found to my chagrin when researching the topic for a paper myself.
Quote Post Goto Top

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
i get all that, i have american friends who probably have at least met with many of the people you mention (Rene has certainly grown up around those environments, not least because his father was a celebrated journalist) Dislike doesn't mean i'm unaware of, Marcel,, it's a question of sensibilities, is all

Deleted User
Deleted User

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Aug 6 2012, 10:00 AM
i get all that, i have american friends who probably have at least met with many of the people you mention (Rene has certainly grown up around those environments, not least because his father was a celebrated journalist) Dislike doesn't mean i'm unaware of, Marcel,, it's a question of sensibilities, is all
I was prickly because you scarequoted the influence, which is a real, massive influence, and an international one. I didn't see why you wrote "a certain kind of self absorption as "influential"" which implies it#s self absorbed and not influential. this is quite independent on like/dislike of her work. influence is a matter of record/fact, or at least it's that kind of knowledge and not a taste judgment.
Quote Post Goto Top

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
i've no idea what scarequoting means, no interest in finding out. If i thought about it - the influence - overmuch, it would annoy me very greaty because for me the influence is underserved, undeniable or otherwise,
Edited by oneofmurphysbiscuits, Aug 6 2012, 10:23 AM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Aug 6 2012, 10:22 AM
for me the influence is underserved
interesting though
can influence be "undeserved"?
isn't the fact that someone else
was impacted enough by what you wrote
to change his or her writing
all that needs to happen
for you to "deserve" it? It's not
a price after all
sometimes influence can be annoying
as with the noxious influence badious's "philosophy"
had on contemporary cultural studies
or ayn rand had on american political culture
but would you really call either case "undeserved"
I'm not sure what that even means
or whether it has meaning
at all
in the context of influence
influence happens and the reasons for it
have I guess as much to do with your own work
as with the context
you wrote it in
and others read it
but it feels weird to talk about
someone#s influence on a whole emerging genre
of writing
as deserved or undeserved
it just is
and knowing people who meet people
ooh meant to share that
meropi and i recently spent a weekend with a friend
who apparently knew Heiner müller well
and worked with him in theatre workshops
or something
that was pretty awesome
Quote Post Goto Top

oneofmurphysbiscuits
Member Avatar
marmalade modernist
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As far as Didion's concerned, for me, it's undeserved. That's where i came in at, such is what i've always thought though if she gives me cause to change my mind i'll say so,. I've too mich to do and too little energy at the moment to broaden the discussion, but have fun :)

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm sticking with my inadvertent prediction for Kadare, but Djebar and Khoury also in the mix.

(yes too many worthies [even if more fun to speculate on unworthies] so the fun of speculation using other criteria [where's due rather than who'll do] comes more into play ... but I don't think english-language is heavily weighted as such this year at least)

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply