Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Prose by Poets; Novels, primarily
Topic Started: Jan 30 2013, 07:15 PM (1,975 Views)
johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
making bets on kentucky derby day
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I was just curious if we could get a list going...my interest was raised by Dave and then I am reading a book by James McCourt who apparently wrote a book about James Schuyler and then that led to remembering
A Nest of Ninnies of Ashbery/Schuyler (read, but don't remember much...two serious ladies comes to mind...?)
& then I put together a very small list:

What's for Dinner? and Alfred and Guinevere by Schuyler
Leaving the Atocha Station by Ben Lerner (read)
The (Diblos) Notebook and The Seraglio by Merrill
Recovery by Berryman (read, left no impression...fucking alcoholic and recovery books seem good in theory but I've yet to read a really great one...even Lunar Caustic by Lowry, something by Richard Yates was not memorable at all..see, don't even remember the title)

Can you add to that (yes, you can!)? Someone thought of as primarily a poet who wrote novels too...O williams, I've read a few of his, maybe I'll read them again) and yeah, The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge by Rilke (never read)

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Richard Hugo wrote a fine mystery novel.
Allen Tate wrote a very interesting novel called "The Fathers"
I think among Kenneth Koch's prose is a novel.
Philip Larkin wrote a novel too.
James Dickey too. And his is super famous.

That's all I have without getting up from this chair.

Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

And you're not fair to Berryman's book, I mean it's a fragment, what do you want.
Quote Post Goto Top

johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Canox
Jan 30 2013, 07:34 PM
And you're not fair to Berryman's book, I mean it's a fragment, what do you want.
it talks down, it's didactic, it's almost an AA pamphlet and yeah I hold Berryman to a higher standard than that, fragment or not, Lowry's Lunar Caustic is much better...and James Dickey much like the most famous Hugo is sort of a novelist first in many people eye's..don't you think?

johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
What is the book by a poet and I can't remember it's name (but I'm pretty sure it's by a he and maybe his only novel) and it's about a boarding school or college novel; I think it was in the era of Mary McCarthy.

edit: Randall Jarrell, Pictures from an Institution.
Edited by johnnywalkitoff, Jan 30 2013, 07:54 PM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

johnnywalkitoff
Jan 30 2013, 07:49 PM
Canox
it talks down, it's didactic, it's almost an AA pamphlet and yeah I hold Berryman to a higher standard than that, fragment or not, Lowry's Lunar Caustic is much better...and James Dickey much like the most famous Hugo is sort of a novelist first in many people eye's..don't you think?
1. "almost like an aa pamphlet"? Have you read the book? It's directly modeled on the AA rules, explicitly, if I remember correctly, so, yeah, it is. Berryman is using the form, or trying to, in order to frame the story. It's a fragment. It would have been much better finished. Ugh. Now I want to reread it. Maybe I'm wrong. >:<

2. Dickey is a novelist first in the eyes of idiots. His work is like 90% poetry and 10% prose and he is a great poet (anyone want to buy me the collected poems? I give good head. Think about it). It's fucking erroneous to call him a novelist who wrote poetry or someone who did both equally. James fucking Dickey was a poet, and an influential one. He got famous through ONE novel, and overall he wrote like three. The VH comparison is nonsense because VH is more like Goethe: both wrote a lot of poems but also a lot of novels and a lot of drama.
Also, Dickey is not like Robert Penn Warren. Warren wrote a lot of novels, and there is a legitimate case to me made to say he is just as much a novelist as he is a poet, even if All the King's Men had not been this massive success,.
Quote Post Goto Top

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
yer thinkin of Randall Jarrell, Pictures from an Institution ... my take on A Nest of Ninnies

others
Barbara Guest, Seeking Air (just started her collected ...)
Robert Creeley, The Island
Czeslaw Misolz, The Issa Valley (a bit tricky, verging on memoir, but)
Adam Foulds, The Quickening Maze: redolent of Penelope Fitzgerald, high praise in my book

and Jacek's favorite, Wendell Berry ...
and this is just novels ... I mean just some novels ...

Deleted User
Deleted User

nnyhav
Jan 30 2013, 08:09 PM

but he, man, he wrote a fuckload of prose.

You would really consider him a poet first and foremost, who also writes prose?
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I have an unread edition of Zukofsky's prose that I'm pretty sure contains a novel

checked it. yep. "Little", apparently his only novel.
Quote Post Goto Top

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Canox
Jan 30 2013, 08:12 PM
nnyhav
Jan 30 2013, 08:09 PM

but he, man, he wrote a fuckload of prose.

You would really consider him a poet first and foremost, who also writes prose?
dunno, before Jacek I'd only known about his poetry

but on another track, I was stopped short by Bart van Es' TLS Commentary this week on Robert Armin, Shakespeare's fool (and a writer his own self), who wasn't averse to cashing in on the relationship afterwards: "The third edition of Fool upon Fool [published as he replaced Kemp as S's company comic] (revised under the title A Nest of Ninnies) proudly trumpets 'our Globe' and again invokes Shakespeare by telling readers 'love loses not his labour' and warning that "there are as Hamlet says things called whips in store." (my bold)

Deleted User
Deleted User

Just thought of two German cases.

Ulla Hahn wrote very solid poetry for a long time, and then she had a breakthrough novel. Now she's written two.

Also two novels wrote Ursula Krechel who is a fantastic poet, but she write two novels in the past few years and just won the German Book Award for her sophomore effort.
Quote Post Goto Top

johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Canox
Jan 30 2013, 08:08 PM
johnnywalkitoff
Canox
1. "almost like an aa pamphlet"? Have you read the book? It's directly modeled on the AA rules, explicitly, if I remember correctly, so, yeah, it is. Berryman is using the form, or trying to, in order to frame the story. It's a fragment. It would have been much better finished. Ugh. Now I want to reread it. Maybe I'm wrong. >:<

2. Dickey is a novelist first in the eyes of idiots. His work is like 90% poetry and 10% prose and he is a great poet (anyone want to buy me the collected poems? I give good head. Think about it). It's fucking erroneous to call him a novelist who wrote poetry or someone who did both equally. James fucking Dickey was a poet, and an influential one. He got famous through ONE novel, and overall he wrote like three. The VH comparison is nonsense because VH is more like Goethe: both wrote a lot of poems but also a lot of novels and a lot of drama.
Also, Dickey is not like Robert Penn Warren. Warren wrote a lot of novels, and there is a legitimate case to me made to say he is just as much a novelist as he is a poet, even if All the King's Men had not been this massive success,.
Yeah, I've read it, when have I ever lied (well, don't answer that-)....My apologies...Recovery is a great book fragmented though it is, what a great idea to write a book around the twelve steps and in such an earnest way! Feel better?

And on behalf of myself and all the other idiots in the world, I apologize for not knowing much about Dickey beyond a few poems and Deliverance...Please can you find it in your heart to forgive me?

Deleted User
Deleted User

johnnywalkitoff
Jan 30 2013, 09:16 PM
Canox
Jan 30 2013, 08:08 PM
johnnywalkitoff
Canox

Yeah, I've read it, when have I ever lied (well, don't answer that-)....My apologies...Recovery is a great book fragmented though it is, what a great idea to write a book around the twelve steps and in such an earnest way! Feel better?

And on behalf of myself and all the other idiots in the world, I apologize for not knowing much about Dickey beyond a few poems and Deliverance...Please can you find it in your heart to forgive me?
yeah yeah I'm a douchebag

Re: Dickey, I didn't think you were among the "many people" you mentioned. Sorry. >.<

Re: Berryman, yeah that's much better.
Quote Post Goto Top

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This came up in another thread recently, but John Kinsella has a novel called Genre, which I may get to at some point this year, and a book of short stories forthcoming (which prompted the discussion in the new titles thread).

David Malouf is admittedly much more of a novelist, but he's also a good poet, and it shows in his prose. I would say the same about Michael Ondaatje.

There's The Bell Jar...

param
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Would you consider Boris Pasternak in this list ?

Deleted User
Deleted User

param
Jan 30 2013, 11:07 PM
Would you consider Boris Pasternak in this list ?
yes
Quote Post Goto Top

johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Great list so far. Thanks. (and to think this thread-starting business was all really based on me pulling down Schuyler's collected poems and good god, fuck, these are fucking amazing, better than I even...and then thinking, "you really need to read his novels")...and Marcel: don't worry, be happy! And Hugo's (R's) book sounds great...so does Mr. Foulds'...Creeley I really like and sometimes I am amazed by him but for such things as line breaks, really, line breaks...you say Creeley, I think of line breaks, swear to god, I'm that fucking lame ("no wonder he spends so much time on his stupid imaginary forum...")

param
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
3 more names from India..

Jeet Thayil : Known here as a poet, until 'Nacropolis'.

Keki Daruwala : Mostly a poet, writes in English, but I liked his prose better, especially 'For Pepper and Christ" and few short stories.

Kamala Das : Wrote Poems in English and brilliant novels in Malayalam ( under a name Madhavikkutty").
Edited by param, Jan 31 2013, 04:13 AM.

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
and Rabindranath Tagore (tho what he was primarily is hard to say)

and I s'pose we can throw Clive James into the mix, his poetry now eclipsing the ol day job (and what he'll be remembered for?)

orlando
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Anne Michaels, I liked Fugitive Pieces.

Kathleen Jamie - not read her prose yet, hear it is very good, on my wishlists (not fiction I think).

I'm reading John Burnside's first memoir which is terrific, but he's also written novels. I'm thinking you are most interested in fiction?

i wrote a dialogue fairly recently and had Valery suggested to me and i understand that his stuff is wonderful and am hot for reading his Dialogues and restraining myself from purchase of them, cos I just don't have time to read 'em.

I really enjoyed George Mackay Brown's autobiography.

I really want to read W. B. Yeats' autobiographical stuff.

i wondered about The Bell Jar - not read it yet myself.

i started Milosz' The Captive Mind, was loving it, need to get back to it when I have time.

I may have beaten Sharon to Burnside but I think we know who else she may suggest :)

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply