Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Fictional Woods. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nobel Prize 2013; Let the madness begin!
Topic Started: Jul 19 2013, 12:35 AM (8,408 Views)
DDR
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Elie
Sep 3 2013, 10:22 AM
Bjorn
Sep 3 2013, 08:58 AM
From Orthofer on twitter: Ladbrokes odds up. Phew. Finally something substantial for journalists to base their speculations on.

The list is pretty much same ol' same ol', though I'm impressed that Chang-rae Lee is apparently important enough to be listed twice.
Don't remember Joyce Carol Oates being anything like that high last year, unless my memory's going? That's the most interesting thing in there for me.
Last year Oates started 33/1 and never moved from that spot. A lot of people think a woman will win this year, that's why 3 of the first 7 spots are women; a different tendency last year in which there was only 1 (Dacia Maraini) in the first 10 when the odds opened.

There are some 100/1 that I'm sure will go up sooner or later.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
again with the reference point; opening odds (last year's openers in parens for above 100/1 if different):
3/1 Haruki Murakami (10/1)
6/1 Joyce Carol Oates (33/1)
7/1 Peter Nadas (33/1)
10/1 Ko Un (14/1)
12/1 Alice Munro (20/1)
14/1 Assia Djebar (20/1), Adonis
16/1 Philip Roth, Amos Oz
20/1 Thomas Pynchon
25/1 Milan Kundera (66/1)
33/1 William Trevor (100/1)
40/1 Nurridin Farah (33/1), Margaret Atwood (50/1), Darcia Maraini (16/1), Salman Rushdie (66/1), Cormac McCarthy(16/1), Don DeLillo (33/1)
50/1 Umberto Eco (25/1), Bob Dylan (33/1), Ngugi wa Thiog'o (20/1), John Banville (100/1), Eduardo Mendoza Garriga (20/1), Les Murray (20/1), Cees Nooteboom (12/1), Ismail Kadare (14/1), Leonard Nolens (25/1)
66/1 Tom Stoppard, Daniel Kahneman, Enrique Vila-Matas (20/1), E L Doctorow (33/1), Peter Handke (100/1), Yves Bonnefoy (50/1)
100/1 Shyam Selvadurai, David Malouf, Andrea Camilleri, John Ashbery, Vassilis Alexakis, Leila Aboulela, Mahasweta Devi, Kjell Askildsen, Carol Ann Duffy, ChangRae Lee, Louise Gluck, Anne Carson, Edouard Maunick, Edward P Jones, Jon Fosse, Paula Fox, Mia Couto, Julian Barnes, Ernesto Cardenal, Junot Diaz, Jonathan Littell, Mary Gordon, F Sioni Jose, Tim Winton, Marilynne Robinson, Gerald Murnane, Eeva Kilpi, Gosta Agren, Jonathan Franzen, Azar Nafisi, Ben Okri, Maya Angelou, Dai Sijie, A S Byatt, Olga Tokarczuk, Juan Goytisolo, Marge Piercy, Yevgeny Yevtushenko, Claudio Magris, Colm Toibin, Merethe Lindstrom, Richard Ford, Ghassan Zaqtan, Bei Dao, Shlomo Kalo, Mircea Cartarescu, Kazuo Ishiguro, Peter Carey, Elias Khoury, Sofi Oksanen, Duong Thu Huong, Cesar Aira, Michel Tournier, Juan Marse, Peter Hoeg, Paul Auster, Antonio Gamoneda, Jhumpa Lahiri, Javier Marias, Herman Koch, Patrick Modiano, Antonio Lobo Antunes, William H Gass, Michael Ondaatje, Karl Ove Knausgard. Jeffrey Eugenides, Per Petterson, Michael Frayn, Chimamanda Ngozi, Atiq Rahimi, Ian McEwan, Leif G W Persson, Hilary Mantel, Adam Zagajewski, Jan Guillou, Ursula Le Guin, Christian Jungersen, A B Yehoshua, Chang-Rae Lee, Daniel Chavarria, Anna Funder, Ulrich Holbein, Ferreira Gullar (yeah so I'm lazy, last year's opening odds here; biggest drops were Cartarescu from 25/1 and Zagajewski & Knausgaard from 33/1)

DDR
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Some names I'm surprised not to see are Laszlo Kraznahorkai, Rohinton Mistry, David Grossman.
Probably they'll appear later.

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, as mentioned earlier on the thread, Mistry has pretty strong credentials so it seems odd not to see him there. Munro probably does seem the strongest Canadian option, though.

One strange name to see on the list is Daniel Kahneman. Thinking Fast and Slow is a terrific book, and good to see non-fiction writers in the mix, but there's not much else is there? Has anyone ever won for Literature as well as in another category? (Although the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences is technically not a "Nobel Prize" it kind of is...)

Also Anna Funder in at 100/1? I quite liked her two books, but seriously?

byrd
Member Avatar
byrd is the wyrd
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Funhouse
Sep 4 2013, 12:23 AM
Yeah, there's a few writers on the list (Diaz, Barnes, Eugenides) who write well enough for their books to win regional prizes, but imo should no way be considered for the Big One.

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Funhouse
There's a bunch of complete no-hopers on 100/1, presumably only there so that people who haven't opened a book since school will recognise at least one name. It's really embarrassing that the only Swedish names on the list are Guillou and Persson, for instance.

Laszlo Krasznahorkai would be an interesting choice, though for those who think that matters, he's never been translated into Swedish at all.

It would be nice if they stay out of Europe for a few more years, though... Krasznahorkai and Cartarescu can wait. I'm guessing the Chinese writers are SOL too. One might wonder if they're going to compensate for the controversy around Mo Yan by picking a more obvious dissident this year?

DDR
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Bjorn
Sep 4 2013, 03:33 AM
It would be nice if they stay out of Europe for a few more years, though... Krasznahorkai and Cartarescu can wait. I'm guessing the Chinese writers are SOL too. One might wonder if they're going to compensate for the controversy around Mo Yan by picking a more obvious dissident this year?
Yes, but Kundera (84), Kadare (77), Goytisolo (82) and Nooteboom (80) probably not. Yes they're Europe but Kadare and Nooteboom come from not only countries but languages never awarded before with the Nobel.

If this doesn't happen, then Africa or Middle East have tremendous writers to be considered.

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Englund comments, Orthofer sums up

Quote:

The Academy hasn't even reconvened after the summer holiday, and like most members I'm in the final stretch of my Nobel reading. So as of yet, none of woman born knows who will get that famous literature prize.

He also dispells two brand-new rumours of how they supposedly work with "No, we don't. Ever." and concludes "The weirdness starts early this year."

byrd
Member Avatar
byrd is the wyrd
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bjorn
Sep 5 2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:

The Academy hasn't even reconvened after the summer holiday, and like most members I'm in the final stretch of my Nobel reading. So as of yet, none of woman born knows who will get that famous literature prize.

So... Julius Caesar knows...?

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
DDR
Sep 4 2013, 12:33 PM
Bjorn
Sep 4 2013, 03:33 AM
Yes, but Kundera (84), Kadare (77), Goytisolo (82) and Nooteboom (80) probably not. Yes they're Europe but Kadare and Nooteboom come from not only countries but languages never awarded before with the Nobel.
True. The same could be said for Kemal, who (much like Lessing had when she got it) seems to have dropped off the list of contenders after he hit 80. Then again, there's aging writers all over the world; I wonder if Achebe's death will have given them a push to give it to someone before they pop off?

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
byrd9999
Sep 5 2013, 03:53 AM
Bjorn
Sep 5 2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:

So... Julius Caesar knows...?
I'd check if Birnam Woods have come to the Academy, but that entire part of town is walled off by Obama's security people right now. Possibly in order to secure Roth's win.

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And the madness begins

http://www.complete-review.com/saloon/archive/201309a.htm#it9
Attached to this post:
Attachments: ngugi.jpg (30.36 KB)
Edited by Bjorn, Sep 5 2013, 09:23 AM.

DDR
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Bjorn
Sep 5 2013, 09:13 AM
If two of the finalists are Oates and Thiong'o , I'm 100% with the African writer.

Funhouse
Member Avatar
Perpetually Lost
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Funhouse
Yeah, as mentioned earlier on the thread, Mistry has pretty strong credentials so it seems odd not to see him there. Munro probably does seem the strongest Canadian option, though.

One strange name to see on the list is Daniel Kahneman. Thinking Fast and Slow is a terrific book, and good to see non-fiction writers in the mix, but there's not much else is there? Has anyone ever won for Literature as well as in another category? (Although the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences is technically not a "Nobel Prize" it kind of is...)

I was just reading the Literary Saloon and saw a story on Daniel Kehlmann and it occurred to me that Daniel Kahneman is probably a mistake. Kehlmann is a more plausible writer to be appearing on the list than Kahneman...

johnnywalkitoff
Member Avatar
making bets on kentucky derby day
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
They should have meant Kelman, James...who really is one of the most brilliant writers currently living along with Antunes, Ashbery, Marias, Krasznahorkai, Pynchon, McCarthy. Murnane...I don't really care about this or really any awards except that it can introduce me to a writer so I would rather a nobody one...but I did think that Bleeding Edge coming out so close the awardsing was perhaps a publishing ploy to win a nobel or whatever....as to the above about people being too old, then don't give it to them they won't be able to enjoy the money any fucking way and it won't help (or hinder) their career; the nobel will merely-in those cases- grant them some fake immortality while still alive, if they are truly artists producing lasting work then the awarding of the prize doesn't matter, time will tell, 200 hundred years (if only...) will tell....I think it'd be a much more interesting award if it was giving in mid-late career and then we could see the effects becoming world-famous and having a million bucks had on your work...we'd have a clear demarcation before/ after...like Bellow...give it to fucking Kelman he made like 12,000 dollars last year off his goddamn books and although people pick out the superficiality of the scottish dialect...he's really following different threads of his own voice...in which one could discern Beckett, Selby, Kafka, Joyce, Donleavy, a bit of the beats, a madness, I tell ya

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
^^ Sounds like I should read Kelman. Is How Late It Was, How Late a good starting point?

In other news, betting service Unibet are offering 16 to 1 on... Achebe. Worth a wee flutter, perhaps.

DDR
Member Avatar
Literary lunatic
[ *  *  * ]
Javier Marías made a good jump from the 100/1 pile to a very decent 33/1 at the Ladbrokes list.

Another leak indicating he is at the short list?

- Joyce Carol Oates
- Ngugi Wa Thing'o
- Javier Marías?

suzannahhh
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
DDR
Sep 11 2013, 02:25 PM
Javier Marías made a good jump from the 100/1 pile to a very decent 33/1 at the Ladbrokes list.

Another leak indicating he is at the short list?

- Joyce Carol Oates
- Ngugi Wa Thing'o
- Javier Marías?
I'd be truly happy if Marias won it

nnyhav
Member Avatar
itinerant kibitzer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Boston Globe on the odd makings of odds making

Bjorn
Member Avatar
Forum junkie
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And more whining about Dylan.

Quote:

In truth, the only other pop artist with work as timeless as Mr. Dylan’s is Chuck Berry

Is "In truth" the new "Everyone knows that..." or "It's common sense that..."?

On the plus side, the Gothenburg Book Fair seems to have raised Cartarescu's profile among Swedish readers, at least. Whether that increases his chances of winning...

Marlene van Niekerk has started popping up as a dark horse among amateur opinionists, any thoughts on her? And who would it piss off more - the people complaining about yet another white African winning, or the people complaining about her just getting it to even out the gender and sexuality gaps?

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply