Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
sion plan to current officials only and that federal mediators "advised both parties ... the grandfa
Topic Started: May 2 2014, 10:01 AM (4 Views)
ainimeng

TORONTO -- The Ricoh Coliseum has been good to the Toronto Marlies, and they hope it stays that way when they return home to host the Norfolk Admirals for Game 3 of the American Hockey League final on Thursday. The Marlies finds themselves down 2-0 in the Calder Cup final after losing both games in Norfolk. However, they have proven to be a much better team on their own ice. They are 6-1 at home during their playoff run, and their 24 regular-season wins were the most of any team in the Western Conference this year. Their .684 home-ice winning percentage was third best in the league behind only Norfolk and the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. "We kind of tip-toed around their ice but being back in our barn well be ready to go and youll see a different team," said winger Jay Rosehill. "When youre down two games you can get down a little bit but its exciting to be home," added team captain Ryan Hamilton. "Weve been good at home all year. You have a routine when you play at home. Its not like were uncomfortable on the road but its nice to have things like the fans." Through the first two games the Admirals showed how aggressive of a club they are, especially around Toronto goaltender Ben Scrivens. Its something Marlies head coach Dallas Eakins isnt fond of and will address if needed. "You see how many times in the second game the net was knocked off?" asked Eakins. "Theyre coming right through there hard. If it gets right down to a dirty, nasty game, looking at their line up and ours I dont think they want to fool around too much." Scrivens, whos faced a combined 74 shots so far in the series, hasnt backed down from the attention hes received around the net, but hes been asked to keep his focus on stopping the puck. "Ive asked him to stay out of scrums because he seems like he wants to get in there and be a part of it," Eakins said. "Goalies have no business being in there." The tension between these two clubs is rapidly increasing, which Rosehill says bodes well for Toronto. "With our roster were not worried," he said. "If they want to come at us like that lets go. Im sure they wont because I think they have about one guy who can handle himself." Mike Zigomanis, the teams regular-season scoring leader and assistant captain, will return to the line up after missing the last four games with what was believed to be an elbow injury. The 31-year-old forward skated alongside wingers Spencer Abbott and Hamilton on the second line at Wednesdays practice and will be expected to join both sides of the special teams as well. "Hes a veteran guy whos been through these battles," Eakins said. "Hes a huge part of our team leadership. Hes been out for a while and you just hope that doesnt have an effect." While its good news for the Marlies to have one of their top players back, someone else will have to sit out because of AHL rules. "Ive got to make a tough decision (because) of the AHL veteran rule," Eakins said. "Were over the limit with him coming back. I have to take somebody out, which is unfair, but I have to play by the rules. The rule is in there to encourage the development of the young players." Forwards Colton Orr, Phil Dupuis, Hamilton, Rosehill and defencemen Mark Fraser and Matt Lashoff are all considered veterans based on how many pro games they have played in their career. Since a team can only have a maximum of six veterans dress, it could be Orr who finds himself the odd man out. Forward Nazem Kadri and defenceman Jesse Blacker, who have been sidelined with injuries, skated on their own before practice but wont be ready for Thursday. The Marlies have been limited offensively so far in the series and they know Scrivens can only hold them in for so long. Theyve scored just three times, been outshot in five of six periods, given up the first goal of the game in each and are just 1 for 15 on the power play, including a 0 for 10 performance in Game 1. "We have to be better in their zone and find our confidence with our cycle game," said Eakins about how his club will find success against Norfolk goaltender Dustin Tokarski. "The biggest part of our offence is the cycle game and we really havent had it going." <a href="http://www.authenticseahawksshop.com/marshawn-lynch-jersey.html">http://www.authenticseahawksshop.com/marshawn-lynch-jersey.html</a>. The ISAF Council voted in May to introduce kiteboarding in Brazil -- a decision reaffirmed in a vote Friday. But the decision was overruled by the ISAF general assembly, which voted Saturday in Dun Laoghaire, Ireland, in favour of reinstating windsurfing. <a href="http://www.authenticseahawksshop.com/richard-sherman-jersey.html">http://www.authenticseahawksshop.com/richard-sherman-jersey.html</a>. MLB executive vice-president Rob Manfred notified teams of the action Tuesday in a memorandum to club presidents, chief executive officers and general managers. <a href="http://www.authenticseahawksshop.com/12th-fan-jersey.html">http://www.authenticseahawksshop.com/12th-fan-jersey.html</a>. ODea, 25, began his youth career with Glasgow Celtic FC and made his team debut for Celtic in September 2006. <a href="http://www.authenticseahawksshop.com/russell-wilson-jersey.html">http://www.authenticseahawksshop.com/russell-wilson-jersey.html</a>. The 47th-ranked Paire swept the first set despite landing only three first serves against the 45th-ranked Tomic, who was seeded eighth after getting a wild-card entry to the clay-court tournament. <a href="http://www.authenticseahawksshop.com/">http://www.authenticseahawksshop.com/</a>. It was the first career shutout for the 17-year-old goaltender and the victory snapped a seven-game losing skid for his club. “Through this whole stretch they have done everything we have asked them to do, except win,” Everett coach Mark Ferner said of the losses.NEW YORK -- The NFL Referees Association is disputing a claim by the league that the officials threatened to take a strike vote after their contract expired. Mike Arnold, counsel for the officials, says Tuesday that claim is "patently false." "The NFLRA has never threatened to strike," Arnold said. "After repeated references by the NFL during negotiations regarding its plans to obtain replacement officials, the NFLRA briefed its members at its annual meeting on April 21, 2012. No strike vote was taken at the meeting. "In fact the NFLRAs directive to its membership was to prepare for the season and to perform each and every task assigned to them both before and after CBA expiration. This continues to be the position of the NFLRA." The collective bargaining agreement ended after the 2011 season. The sides had been meeting since October, but mediation lasted only two sessions and talks broke off Sunday. On Monday, the league said it will begin hiring and training replacement officials. The officials say that the NFL offered salary increases lower than those obtained in the 2006 agreement. "They heard about the increases that team and league employees receive, far less than the increases we proposed for the game officials, even without considering the improved offer made on Sunday," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. "Do the officials get the same kind of raises in their other jobs as they did in 2006?" Game officials -- most of whom hold other jobs -- were offered a seven-year deal that included increases of between 5 per cent and 11 per cent in wages per year. First-year officials who made an average of $78,000 in 2011 would earn more than $165,000 by the end of the new agreement. A 10-year veteran in 2011 who made $139,000 would get more than $200,000 in 2018. Arnold also says the leaguee intends to freeze and terminate the officials pension plan, which began in 1974 and has been administered by the league since.dddddddddddd "The leagues proposal is a massive takeaway in the overall economic package at play in the negotiations," Arnold said. "Now, despite record revenues, the NFL wants to do away with the plan." Arnold said the NFLRA proposed to "grandfather" or limit the continuation of the pension plan to current officials only and that federal mediators "advised both parties ... the grandfather solution proposed by the NFLRA would normally settle the issue." "However, the NFL rejected the proposal and as recently as the June 3, 2012, session reiterated it is not interested in the grandfather concept," Arnold added. Aiello countered that the NFL offered a transition from the defined benefit plan in which the officials would retain all the benefits they currently have. "We offered to contribute $16,500 per official in 2012 and increase that amount to almost $23,000 by 2018," he said. "We showed them projections ... indicating that they would have a larger retirement benefit under our proposal than under the old defined benefit plan." Aiello said the plan being offered is the same that everyone working at the NFL office and that many of the 32 teams have. The players union supported the officials on Monday, but Denver Broncos linebacker Joe Mays says the officials plight doesnt resonate with them. "Not really," May says. "If you go out there and play the game the way its supposed to be played and control what you do, the refs dont really have too much say-so in it if youre playing the game the way its supposed to be played. We dont really pay too much attention to that. We just worry about what we can control." ' ' '
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply