Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
her games after a hip injury ended his season, Talib led the Bucs with six interceptions. Dominik wa
Topic Started: May 17 2014, 08:37 AM (7 Views)
zake201
Administrator
CHICAGO -- Paul Maholm was eager to finish off one of his best pitching performances of the season. He settled instead for his first win in seven weeks, and that was plenty satisfying. Maholm allowed just four hits, pitched into the ninth inning and benefited from three homers and some good defence Friday, leading the Chicago Cubs to a 4-0 win over the Houston Astros. "I wanted it obviously. I understand the situation," Maholm said of being pulled in the ninth. "I gave up two hits, but after my last outing, Ill take what I got and go on." Maholm had given up nine hits and seven runs in just 3 1-3 innings of his previous outing against the Diamondbacks and had been 0-4 in his previous eight outings, although he pitched well enough to win in some of those games. Friday he mixed his pitches, had good control and worked well with rookie catcher Steve Clevenger, who also hit his first major league homer. "If you are doubting your pitches or whatever you are not going to be as crisp," Maholm said. "Whether I was throwing the so-called correct pitch, I was aggressive with it. And obviously Ive faced those guys a decent amount and kind of know their tendencies." Maholm (5-6), making 200th major league start, earned his first win since he tossed seven shutout innings in a 1-0 victory over Atlanta on May 9. He walked one, hit a batter and struck out six in his 8 1-3 innings. Brian Bixler started the Houston ninth with a base hit and Carlos Lees one-out double put runners on second and third before Carlos Marmol finished for his sixth save in eight chances. Marmol plunked Chris Snyder to load the bases with two down, but Chris Johnson lined to third to end the game. "My job is to hit the ball hard. I cant place it. I wish I could," said Johnson. Coming off a tough 7-3 loss to the Padres on Thursday night when they gave up six runs in the ninth, the Astros didnt get into Chicago until 2:20 a.m. and then to their hotel around 3:30 a.m. "How much sleep we had, no one wants to hear about that," Johnson said, crediting Maholm. "He is one of those guys who really mixes his pitches well." Jordan Schafer and Matt Downs had the only other hits for Houston against Maholm. Schafers third-inning single came on a fly ball that fell in front of left fielder Alfonso Soriano, and Downs singled in the eighth. "The guys made some great plays," Maholm said. "And three homers always helps." Luis Valbuena hit a two-out solo homer off Bud Norris (5-5) in the second. Clevenger belted a two-run shot in the fourth for his first major league homer, and Soriano connected in the sixth. All 15 of Sorianos homers have come since May 15. Clevenger will savour his first. He got the ball, as well. "To hit a home run in the big leagues, its a great feeling," he said. "But more important we got the victory and we got the shutout." Norris allowed four runs and seven hits in six innings. He came off the disabled list earlier in the day after being sidelines with a sprained left knee. He wanted to go longer after throwing only 87 pitches but manager Brad Mills pulled him. "Manager made his decision, so Ive got to let it be with that," Norris said. "But I felt strong. " Houston put the first two men on in the third, but Downs was thrown out at third with Norris attempting to bunt, dousing the rally. Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro ended the inning by roaming behind second to flag down Bixlers grounder and throw him out. Bixler hit a long drive to centre in the sixth, but David DeJesus leaped into the ivy to pull it down. The Cubs nearly doubled off Norris, who had walked, but Castros relay throw was wild past first, allowing Norris to move to third. NOTES: SS Jed Lowrie was out of the lineup to rest following the Astros difficult 7-3 loss to the Padres on Thursday night, but he hit in the eighth. 2B Jose Altuve sat out a fifth straight game (right hamstring). ... Cubs RHP Ryan Dempster, on the DL with a lat injury, played catch and hopes to throw off the mound sometime this weekend. ... Astros 1B Carlos Lee got hit in the groin area by a hard hopper off the bat of Anthony Rizzo in the ninth but was able to regroup and stay in the game. cheap jerseys . It was her fourth game of the season, but the first game that I had been able to attend. Like many house league teams across the country, my daughters team plays a schedule of games over the course of the indoor season. wholesale jerseys . The 100th Grey Cup will air live in the U.S. in November on the NBC Sports Network. The CFL says NBC will also carry nine-regular season games as well as the East and West Division semifinals and finals, picking up TSNs coverage of the games. http://www.chinajerseyswholesale.us.com/ . -- Jarrod Dyson can still help the Kansas City Royals with his speed. China Jerseys Wholesale . In some cases that may be a function of how many players are capable of stepping and playing the position at an NFL level, but theres also a need for many teams to break up the workload, either based on specialties or lack of a dominant performer. wholesale nfl jerseys . Spain will need its first competitive victory in seven meetings with France to continue its bid for a record third straight major title. France was the last team to beat Spain in a major tournament. TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa Bay cornerback Aqib Talib wont be suspended for any of the 2011 season for his arrest in connection with an off-season shooting in Texas. Buccaneers general manager Mark Dominik said before Saturday nights pre-season game against the Miami Dolphins that the NFL office informed him by telephone earlier in the day. Talib sat out the exhibition with a hamstring injury that also sidelined him the first two weeks of the pre-season. The fourth-year pro is facing a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Police in the Dallas suburb of Garland say they believe the 25-year-old player and his mother shot at a man in March. Talib met with commissioner Roger Goodell in New York on Tuesday. The players trial is set for March 2012, and the NFL could revisit the matter pending the outcome of the case. "We discussed Aqibs situation and they informed us he will not be suspended for the 2011 football season," Dominik said. "Certainly we and the National Football League will continue to track the case, and we will proceed accordingly however that pans out." Talib was suspended without pay for the 2010 regular-season opener and also fined one additional game check for violating the leagues personal conduct policy.dddddddddddd That discipline stemmed from an altercation with a St. Petersburg cab driver during training camp in August 2009. Despite missing last years opener and four other games after a hip injury ended his season, Talib led the Bucs with six interceptions. Dominik was asked if he was "relieved" that one of the teams best players will not begin this season on suspension. "Im not relieved because ... I dont want to have to deal with these kinds of things," Dominik said. "I think Aqib and our football team knows that thats not the type of team we want to be and build here. We want to be a team that our community is really proud of." The general manager would not say if Talib faces disciplinary action from the team. "Were going to handle it internally, obviously, but the reality is Aqib -- if he can get healthy -- will certainly play in the last pre-season game and have the opportunity to play against Detroit," in the opener, Dominik said. "Im going to monitor the case, just like everybody will, and well proceed accordingly depending on the outcome of that case." ' ' '
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Announcements & News · Next Topic »
Add Reply